The Purpose of Zakat al-Fitr
The definition of zakat al-Fitr according to Islamic law is: “Charity is obligatory at the time of Eid al-Fitr, Ramadan is the end of Eid.” It must take people out to pray al-Fitr because they are late for that.
The legality of Zakat Al-Fitr is a great ruling. Of which:
- It is a purification for the fasting person from idle talk and obscene language.
- It is food for the poor so that they dispense with the question on the day of Eid and share with the rich in the joy of Eid.
Zakat al-Fitr infuses the fasting and believing poor with the food resources to whole-heartedly glorify Allah, celebrate the Eid Prayer, and share the day’s merriment and delight with their children and families. The Prophet, on him, be peace, famously said in this regard: “Gratify [the poor] on this day.”.
Zakat al-Fitr is Obligatory for All Muslims
Before the Eid al-Fitr prayer at the end of Ramadan, every adult Muslim who possesses food in excess of their needs must pay zakat al-Fitr (Fitrana). The head of household can also pay Zakat al-Fitr for their dependants such as:
- Any dependent relatives.
Zakat is obligatory on someone who is:
- A free man or woman. A slave does not have to pay zakat.
- A Muslim. Zakat is a religious obligation upon Muslims, like the 5 daily prayers.
- Sane: The person on whom zakat becomes obligatory must be of sound mind, according to Imam Abu Hanifa. Imam Malik holds that an insane person is still liable for zakat.
- An adult: Children do not have to pay zakat, even if they own enough wealth to make zakat obligatory. However, both Imam Shafi’i and Imam Malik said that the guardians of the children should pay the zakat on their behalf.
- In complete ownership and control of their wealth: The person must own and be in possession of the wealth and also be free to spend or dispose of the wealth in any manner they like. If a person has made a loan of their wealth, then they are not in a position to spend it until it is repaid.
- In possession of wealth above the Nisab threshold: The person should possess wealth above a defined amount required to satisfy the essential needs of themselves and their dependents (Nisab).
- Free from debt: Someone in debt may deduct his debts from his assets – if what remains is still above the Nisab threshold, zakat is due; otherwise, not.
- In possession of the wealth for one complete lunar (Hijrah) year: If one owns zakatable wealth for a lunar year, zakat will become obligatory, provided the total amount of wealth exceeds the Nisab at the beginning of the year and the end, irrespective of any fluctuations in the months between.
The minimum amount due is the equivalent of about 2 kg of wheat flour, rice, or other staple foodstuffs, per member of the household, including dependants, even if they do not live in the same house.
The Time Zakat al-Fitr Should Be Paid
The time for paying zakat al-Fitr does not begin after the Eid prayer, rather it starts after sunset on the last day of Ramadan, which is the first night of the month of Shawwaal, and it ends with the Eid prayer. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded that it should be paid before the prayer. Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever pays it before the prayer, it is accepted zakaah (i.e., Zakat al-Fitr), and whoever pays it after the prayer, it is ordinary charity.”
It is permissible to pay it one or two days before that because of the report narrated by Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoined sadaqat al-Fitr in Ramadan.” According to another report, they used to pay it one or two days before the end of Ramadan.
The Fitrana Amount and Kinds of Zakat al-Fitr 2022
The amount of Zakat al-Fitr every year depends on the country; for example, in Canada, the rate this year is just $10 per person, and n the UAE, it is 7$ per person; in the UK, it is £5 per person, in the US it is $10.
Pay Zakat al Fitr Online
If you want to give your Zakat al Fitr online, you can give it to Bonyan Organization, and We guarantee that it will reach the needy before the Eid prayer. You can view Bonyan’s website to give your Zakat online or visit our social media to learn more about Zakat.
To know more about donations to Bonyan, visit our website to see our projects in many places around the world.
How Much Is Fitrana Amount 2023?
The amount of Zakat al-Fitr every year depends on the country, For example, in Canada, the rate this year is just $10 per person, and n the UAE, it is 7$ per person; in the UK it is £5 per person, in the US it is $10.
Do I Have to Pay Zakat?
Every adult Muslim who meets the requirements of Nisab and Hawl in a calendar year must pay Zakat for that year.
Can I Pay Zakat in Advance?
Yes, Zakat can be paid in advance before the year ends.
How to Pay Fitrana?
You can pay Fitrana by giving the amount of sadaqah al-Fitr directly to needy people that you know, or by giving your Zakat to organizations like Bonyan.
How Zakat Is Calculated In Cash?
Zakat should be paid at 2.5 from all your cash balance and bank balance in your savings, current, or FD accounts.
How Much Is Zakat for 1g of Gold?
$70 x 2.5% which is around $1.75 per Gram, $19.85 per tola (11.34g).
Do You Have to Pay Zakat on Gold Every Year?
Yes, you do.